Welcome to November, friends,
I hope this newsletter finds you healthy and happy. I had a full October and I look forward to much more in November. Seems the months come and go much faster than they once did, and I find myself wishing for simpler, slower paced times. This month as the holiday season nears, let’s focus on breathing more, stressing less and enjoying the moments as they come. We will take a look at Box Breathing to help us center and claim our breath and our peace. Vegan Calming Cardamom Moon Milk is an especially good treat for these busy days. Preparing takes a little extra time than our usual drive through coffee, but I guarantee the effort will be worth it. Thank you for your friendship and your loyal patronage to Boyer We Fit.
Yours in health, Lorinda
Meet Up News
Our Meet-Up will occur on Wednesday, November 15th and 29th at 9:30 am. On the 29th we will have a Holiday/Coffee time afterwards at Starbucks.
We will meet at Barkley Pond next to Scotty Brown’s. Be prepared to walk around a gravel path in rain or shine. I will call it if it’s pouring rain.
Though you can come for any amount of time you would like to, I’ll be there from 9:30 am to 10:30 am.
Check the website CALENDAR for the most up to date information.
This month’s topic will center around Box Breathing. However, I’m happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability. My hope is this will be a place where the group can support each other. So, bring your questions, experiences, and whatever else you want to share to Boyer We Fit’s Coffee Corner Group page.
Box breathing can be useful in many situations such as:
- It can help you cope with panic and stress when feeling overwhelmed. Counting helps to take the focus from the panic-producing situation enabling you to handle and control your response.
- Helps you to sleep when you are having insomnia.
- Helps to control hyperventilation as you can instruct your lungs to breathe rhythmically.
- Helps you refocus when you are having a busy or stressful day.
- Eases panic and worry.
- Keeps you calm while preparing for the day.
- When making a big decision.
- Lowers blood pressure and decreases Cortisol — a stress hormone — which can improve your mood.
As the holiday season approaches, let’s practice our box breathing now and save ourselves from stress later!
Work Out Guide
How to do box breathing
- Breathe out slowly, releasing all the air from your lungs.
- Breathe in through your nose as you slowly count to four in your head. Be conscious of how the air fills your lungs and stomach.
- Hold your breath for a count of four.
- Exhale for another count of four.
- Hold your breath again for a count of four.
- Repeat for three to four rounds.
Nutrition Wisdom Recipe
Drinking moon milk before bedtime can promote relaxation and improve sleep quality, thanks to its calming ingredients of warm milk and soothing spices.
- 1 ½ Cashew Milk (or unsweetened almond)
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Ashwagandha Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Butterfly Pea Flower Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Grade (a maple syrup)
- 0.12 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the maple syrup and vanilla extract, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer for five minutes and then remove from heat.
- Pour the warmed mixture into a blender and add the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blend for about 20 seconds and serve immediately.